Archive for May, 2012|Monthly archive page

BCaching 0.9

The latest bcaching release 0.9 is now live. There were quite a lot of internal changes but the appearance and behavior of the site should be very similar to before.

Although I did my best to test all aspects of the site to make sure nothing was broken, there were a LOT of changes so there is a higher probably than usual that I missed something. Please be on the lookout for any issues and post details on the forums as soon as possible.

This was the 2nd major overhaul in data organization. The last one was a little over a year ago when we migrated from a relational MySql database to the document-based MongoDB. At the time, many relational concepts were carried over instead of taking full advantage of a document structure.

I also took the opportunity to make some other wish-list changes. One of which was the need for all users to be associated with a geocaching.com cacherid. This was because all user-related data on the site was tied to a cacherid. With the reorganization, user-related data is tied to the internal bcaching userid. In the future, that will allow new users to take advantage of the site without necessarily being geocaching users.

I’m also experimenting with showing Munzee data mixed with geocaches on the desktop and mobile maps. This is a work in progress, but if you want to take a look you can enable this feature on your profile page.

Stay tuned.

Advertisements